Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church
511 Groveland Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55403
Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church is a growing, dynamic downtown Minneapolis church, with its primary worship service in a traditional worship style–supported by a rich music & fine arts ministry and its 4-manual, 78 rank tracker Sanctuary organ built by Robert Sipe in 1979. The church is committed to core practices of radical hospitality, passionate worship, intentional faith development, risk-taking mission and service, and extravagant generosity. The position of Organist is a year-round, salaried, restricted part-time staff position. Read more about this very special Robert Sipe Organ.
Play organ/piano for regular worship services (Sunday morning, special seasons services, etc.), concerts, weddings and funerals
In addition to the above, rehearse with soloists/choir, work with couples/families to choose repertoire for weddings/funerals
Depending on the unique talents of the selected candidate some of the following list may be added to an expanded role.
1. Director of Journey Choir – youth vocal ensemble
2. Director of Handbells – conducting one or more ensembles
1. Bachelor’s degree in music, organ performance, or sacred music; graduate degree preferred
2. Five years or more experience as a church organist
3. Familiarity with, ability to play, and appreciation for standard organ literature for the church.
4. The ability:
– to relate a philosophy of music to the spiritual ministry and philosophy of ministry of Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church
– to sight-read music well
– to play and appreciate various styles of music, including a variety of worship languages
– to accompany congregation, orchestra, choirs, ensembles and soloists on organ, piano or keyboard
– to bring creativity, depth, inspiration to the ministry and ministry team & congregation
– to recruit and maintain a team of back-up organists
– to serve as an ambassador of the organ to people of all ages, both within the church and the community at large.
1. Reports to the Director of Music & Fine Arts
2. Relates to the Music & Fine Arts Ministry, Sanctuary Choir Ministry, and Performing Arts Ministry
3. Coordinates with other members of the church staff including ensemble directors, facilities, children, and others
Time Allocation (20 hours per week)
1. Service Playing, 10%
2. Individual Rehearsal: anthems/service music, technical improvement, repertory expansion, 60%
3. Ensemble Rehearsal: Wednesday evening and Sunday morning choir rehearsal, rehearsal with soloists for worship, weddings or funerals, 15%
4. Administration: correspondence regarding weddings and funerals, meetings, briefings, preparing physical scores for ease in performance, 5%
5. Creative Miscellany: creating hymn settings, reharmonizations, and introductions, creating parts for instrumentalists, composing preludes/postludes, 5%
6. Team or committee conversations, 5%
(These are all extremely variable over the course of the year. This is what an aggregate evenly distributed over 52 weeks would probably look like.)
Letters of interest, resume, and any supporting digital files may be sent to email@example.com for consideration.